The following list features some of my favorite decks by interest category (or theme). While this list is not inclusive it is made up of decks I either own or have owned and feel comfortable recommending. To see featured cards from this list please see the following post: Featured Cards From the Pick Your Best Deck by Interest List
- Alchemical: Robert Place's Alchemical Tarot and Tarot of the Sevenfold Mystery. Beautiful, well executed Pre-Raphaelite style artwork paired plenty of esoteric symbolism. Purchasing Robert Place's books in conjecture with these decks is recommended.
- Angel: Doreen Virtue's Archangel Deck, Angel Therapy or Life Purpose Oracle Decks. Lovely, affirmative decks. Lots of fun to work with.
- Animal / Nature: The Druid Animal Oracle - Incredible artwork by Bill Worthington and fascinating Celtic symbolism. Earth Magic Oracle Cards - Great nature themed oracle deck by Steven Farmer.
- Asian: Ukiyoe Tarot Deck - if you like Japanese woodblock style artwork (as I do) you'll love this deck. The Chinese Tarot - very pretty traditional Chinese images.
- Arthurian: The Arthurian Tarot Deck by Caitlin Matthews. Great artwork and concepts. A wealth of info on the legends of Arthur. Wisdom of Avalon Oracle Deck by Colette Baron-Reid - beautiful imagery and messages.
- Celtic: The Druid Craft Tarot and The Wildwood Tarot, Bill Worthington again. The Druid Animal Oracle could go here too (but I put it under Animals). Incredible artwork and symbolism. Identifiable plants and trees add additional layers of symbolism.
- Christian: Robert Place's Tarot of the Saints. Doreen Virtue's Mary Queen of Angels Oracle Deck (and other angel decks as above). Inspiring and attractive.
- Egyptian: The Ancient Egyptian Tarot by Clive Barker. Great imagery and info. Limited availability.
- Fairy: The Mystic Faerie - striking fantasy images by artist Linda Ravenscroft plus a great book by tarot author Barbara Moore. Fey Tarot - whimsical and enchanting fairy artwork. The Faerie's Oracle & The Heart of the Faerie's Oracle - imaginative and compelling fairy decks by artist Brian Froud.
- Goddess: Kris Waldner's Goddess Tarot Deck - beautiful Goddess images in the major arcana (minors are less impressive IMO but still a nice deck overall). Doreen Virtue's Goddess Guidance Oracle - positive deck with lovely images and write ups on the Goddesses depicted.
- Medieval Revival: The Golden Tarot, Rich, high quality deck that uses medieval artwork in a RWS style arrangement.
- Norse: The Norse Tarot by Clive Barrett. Great artwork and depictions of deities from the Norse pantheon.
- New Age: Kim Dreyers Conscious Spirit Oracle Deck. Vivid, light filled images. Likeness of yours truly in the Reach Out card. Aquarian Tarot - Bold Art Deco style artwork.
- Various: University Press RWS - nice pink ankh backs and pleasantly over staturated color, long OOP. Universal Waite - indigo with stars backs and delicate coloring, nicer than the plaid RWS backings many of us grew up with. Pamela Colman Smith Commemorative Set - muted earthy images said to be closest to Colman-Smith's original artwork. All great choices for learning tarot, though not always the most resonant deck for every person.
- Wiccan: I am still looking for a great Wiccan deck. If anyone would like to recommend one, please leave a comment below!
*To see featured cards from this list please check out these images. To read the first installment in my Tarot and Oracle Card Reading for One series please click here.